Sunday, June 5, 2011

Silk silliness

Oh, the dyeing of the silk has not been going as easily as I thought!  The preparation for the dye is a lot of work and now even the dyeing is much harder - at least for the silk roving.  Dyeing the silk yardage is fun and easy.  I guess the difference must be the amount of Sericin (silk worm spit) that remains in the roving.  Perhaps if I purchase it from a different source it would be easier, however I am finding it not so easy to purchase either!!

I also think the poor old (well, I've only had it for a year), electric roaster that I have been using has now gotten too rusty.  I can't seem to ever really get it clean, no matter how I scrub.  One of the problems is that this house only has a cold water source where I work in the basement.  I did find a 24 cup coffee maker at Goodwill that I purchased for all of $6.00 that I use to heat up water - but I've generally only used that for pre-mixing the dyestuffs and for nuno felting.  It's making me crazy not to have a proper set up and I sure hope the new basement work studio can be a better set-up - like with BOTH hot and cold water, a proper laundry sink and room to set up work areas.  I get the housekeys tommorow and the first stuff I plan on moving in will be the trailer contents and the studio stuff.  That way I can start in on all the work I need to get done for the upcoming Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Fair and Quilt Odyssey.  I have a TON of work to do to get ready for both shows.  I have about 10 nuno felting kits just about ready (waiting on the dyed silk roving and the written directions).

Speaking of Quilt Odyssey - I have to come up with an ad for the program.  There are some days when I hate being the one wearing all the hats for the business!!  Graphic artist I am NOT!  I also have been looking at patterns to purchase (which also means new samples made to go with them) and really, really don't want to go there anymore.  I will have new surprises and I have to come up with my own designs to best present them.  Oh, Lord - I never could draw very well!

Well, off to clean the house first - it helps to "clean up" and clear out my mind as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment